0

[REVIEW] The Catcher in the Rye

BOOK
TEEN
The Catcher in the Rye
J. D. Salinger
3 1/2 from 5



It was my last assignment in 1st Semester of the 1st year at college. My Lecturer wanted his students to read at least a book each month. And, this last book was lent by My Senior. At the moment, I wasn't really interested to read it. Oh, I thought that it was just like the other boring books. Because the published date was so loooong time ago.   . Yeah, I bought others book that could be called as old book, and the reason why I bought it cause the price.. of course.... if I want to buy the newest then I have to spend my money more than my budget .

Yeah... actually it's a cool book that famous, the story is quite ordinary (about teenager's life) but the way that the author tells is enjoyable to read. The author put the usual words that used in the daily life of teenagers.

Response Sheet Reading 4th

Name : Pia Zakiyah
Class  : Dik 1C1
NIM  : 0902575

A teenager boy named Holden Caulfield feels so frustrated with his life and looks at all the phony of adulthood. He’s expelled from his school. He wants to go back at home, but then he wants to get some adventures because he feels so confused about the things that he wants to say to his family. He feels his life is so awful.

He spends his weekends in New York without any exactly destiny after he leaved his school in the midnight and got some fight with his friend. In New York, He goes to Hotel and spends the night with dancing with the girls. Then he wants to share his story together with a prostitute. But that girl is angry and wants more money from Holden more than the first agreement.

After that, He walks around the city alone and gets drunk. Then he goes to a museum and remembers about his sister, Allie, who was died in the age thirteen years old. He feels so sad and wants to meet his other sister, Phoebe. He sneak away to his parent’s apartment without got caught by his parent because they’re not home. He wants to meet Phoebe because he believes that he can tell his problems to his only one sister. With her, he shares it. One thing that important is about Robert burns poem, so he wants to be the catcher in the rye. Another reason that he wants to be like that is because Allie.

However, his mind about the catcher in the rye is advised by Mr. Antolini, who was his old English teacher. He meets him after he leaved his parent’s apartment. There, he gave a lot of advices about life. Mr. Antolini offers him to sleep in his house. Then they experience something unpredictable. 

Phoebe wants to go together with Holden to move to the west, but Holden doesn’t want her to take part of his journey. They go to Central Park Zoo and spend the time at there. He feels so excited and very happy because he can through that with Phoebe play in the Carrousel.

Finally Holden tells about his sickness and he has to back at schools then. He never forgets about the way that his past reminds him.

This book was published by Penguin Group in 1958. It's not  a really thick  one, just 192 pages. Yeah, it's quite good for the fiction book.

Things that I like best about this book that the line tells about the teenager 's story, and it’s quite right about telling the way what teenagers do feel. The plot is simple (with its time setting) and I feel like I read someone’s diary and find some advices from its story even the way that author's words that are
so real.

But I have things that I like least about this book, yeah the first is the theme  quite ordinary. The writer also used lot of bad words in this book, I found a lot of words that I didn’t know before and it’s hard to find the book in the bookstore.

Finally, I think the level of difficulty of this book is medium to hard.

0 lost people:

Back to Top